StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Twins - empire waist pullover in red or blue

If these are twins then they are definitely not identical.  They were knitted from the same pattern though, so family resemblance is surely there.

Red pullover was born first, a good while ago - in fact, this is one of my very first knitted garments (hence minor snags here and there and rather untidy seams).  I still love it to bits and wear it as often as I can.


red knitted pullover

It doesn't look like much on a hanger, so I decided to overlook my hatred for camera and snap a few pictures on Yours Truly. 

red knitted pullover



red knitted pullover

Did you spot my dog lurking helping in the photo shoot?

sheepdog lurking in the grass

Blue pullover is destined for my sister.  I promised to make this for her over a year ago and it doesn't really matter that it took me forever, what counts is that I'm finally delivering, right?  Right?  Lucky creature, she's two sizes smaller than me and I wanted her version to be a bit fancier, so I improvised with crocheted flowers. 

This particular picture lies terribly about colour, others are more accurate.

blue knitted pullover with crochet appliques

Flowers can be moved around, or even removed.

blue knitted pullover with crochet appliques



blue knitted pullover with crochet appliques

I wasn't sure if crocheted flowers are exactly my sister's thing, so just in case I stitched pieces of velcro to the back rather than stitching flowers on permanently.  It may not be a durable solution, but for now I'm very happy with the result.

velcro backed crochet flower

A closer look at stitches used:

knitting stitch



PATTERN:

Pattern comes from a Polish knitting magazine, Dama w Swetrze from April 2006.  I have no idea if the pattern is available in English anywhere - sorry. 

Original instructions specify chunkier yarn but my pullovers are knitted from DK.  I had to recalculate pretty much everything, but well, little counting never killed anybody.

Crochet flower pattern comes from here.   It's free and really worth checking out - flowers are sweet and extra easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment